The 1891 Tampa Bay Hotel, now a National Historic Landmark, is home to The University of Tampa and the Henry B. Plant Museum. During the 1880s, Henry Bradley Plant was building an empire of railroads, steamships and hotels. He wanted that empire to have a palace and that palace was the Tampa Bay Hotel – now referred to as Florida’s “first Magic Kingdom.”
Today, the Henry B. Plant Museum, located in the south wing of the original Tampa Bay Hotel, features original opulent furnishings and artifacts from the hotel collected by Mr. and Mrs. Plant on several buying trips to Europe and the Orient. The museum transports you through educational exhibits and events to the late Victorian period, the beginning of Florida’s tourist industry, and the early years of the City of Tampa. Learn the significance of the hotel during the early stages of the Spanish American War and how Tampa was thrust into the world arena in the summer of 1898.
Henry B. Plant Museum is located at 401 W. Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, Fl 33606. For general information, please call (813) 254-1891 or visit the museum's new website at www.plantmuseum.com.
Book a Field Trip
Contact Heather Brown, Curator of Education, for dates and availability at (813) 258-7304 or email@example.com.
Book Group Tours
Contact Lindsay Huban, Museum Relations Coordinator, for dates and availability at (813) 258-7302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.