The following are the answers to frequently asked questions about academic exploration advising.
What are the goals of academic exploration advising?
The goals of academic exploration advising are ...
The goals of academic exploration advising are to:
- Encourage students to identify their academic interests and strengths and emphasize the role these interests and strengths play in their academic success
- Identify the resources available for students to gather knowledge and information about decision alternatives
- Support students in formulating an action plan to use these resources to achieve his/her exploration goals
- Provide opportunities for reflection at each step to ensure the knowledge gained is used to move students further along in the decision-making process
Who can benefit from academic exploration advising?
Academic exploration advising is available to all UT ...
Academic exploration advising is available to all UT undergraduate students who are at various points of the decision-making process.
Students who are likely to be a good fit for exploration are:
- Those who are strongly undecided and are unsure of how to start the process of choosing a major
- Those who have an interest in multiple majors and are having difficulty making a decision
- Those who have an idea of what they want to study but genuinely want to explore their options
- Those who are considering changing their major but are unsure about their decision
How do I meet with an academic exploration advisor?
Academic exploration advising is housed in the Academic Success Center ...
Academic exploration advising is housed in the Academic Success Center (ASC), located in North Walker Hall. You can make an appointment with an exploration advisor online, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the ASC at (813) 257-5757. Hours of operation during the academic year are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can also stop by the ASC during walk-in hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 4 p.m.
How do I declare or change my major?
Now that you have taken the time to explore your various ...
Congratulations! Now that you have taken the time to explore your various major options at UT, you are ready to declare. In order to declare your new major, you will need to login to SpartanWeb and complete a Change of Major/Minor form
and return it to the Academic Advising Office in the Academic Success Center (ASC), located in North Walker Hall. You can also obtain a copy of the form from the front desk at the ASC. Hours of operation during the academic year are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you are not currently enrolled in either Gateways or Pathways to Honors, it is recommended that you change your faculty advisor to an advisor within your new major.
Where can I find information on possible careers?
The Office of Career Services is a great resource available to assist ...
The Office of Career Services
is a great resource available to assist you with exploring career options. Through Career Services, students can take a variety of assessments to explore their interests, skills, values and personality. Students can also elect to enroll in Career Decision-Making (CAR 201), a one-credit elective where students delve further into the process of career decision-making. Other services provided to students include networking events, informational workshops, resume building, and internship and job search assistance. The Office of Career Services is located in the Riverside Building, Room 116. You can make an appointment by visiting the Career Services website
, emailing email@example.com
or calling (813) 253-6236. Hours of operation during the academic year are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.